The following is a brief outline of how playtesting will be conducted:
- Playtest Goals
- Player engagement and level of game responsiveness.
- Overall game balance and difficulty.
- Quality of sound and art design/direction.
- Team members within the studio. (Or if not possible, other peers with a video game background)
- Playtest Method
- Test individually and interview afterwards
- Interview responses
- Reactions/comments during game testing
- First level of the game. 5 minutes in length, or however long it takes the tester to successfully complete the first level.
- Interview Questions
- Note Taking Resources (laptop, notebook/writing utensils)
- Review tester’s responses, compare responses, and evaluate what needs to be changed/improved.
Here is the full playtest plan/template:
|Session Goals||Method||How to Analyse|
|What to measure||How to Test|
|Testers will play the game individually. They will start the game at the first level and play for the length of the prototype. This will be around 5minutes in length, or until they have at least successfully completed the first level.
During the session, the testers will be allowed to voice their opinions on the game, with a more formal interview to follow after they have completed the level. Testers will be asked questions relating to the playtest goals and their responses will be recorded.
Before playtesting commences, the testers will be asked a few questions regarding previous experience with video games to allow for better analysis of what demographic we are catering towards.
Player engagement and level of game responsiveness.
|Player interaction with the game.||Interview Questions:
||Review responses from testers, identify any patterns/similarities, and address them while staying true to the core game idea.|
Overall game balance and difficulty.
|Ability to overcome challenges and complete game objectives.||Interview Questions:
||Review issues presented by testers and identify any similar complaints.|
Quality of sound and art design/direction.
|Reactions to certain objects and sounds.||Interview Questions:
||Review responses from testers, identify whether a majority either likes or dislikes the assets used.|